Environment and Sustainability Manager
The South Taranaki District Council is seeking a proactive and motivated individual to fill this key position in the Environmental Services Group. This is a permanent full time 40 hour per/week position based at the Administration Building in Hawera and will report to the Group Manager Environmental Services.
The successful candidate will develop and deliver environment & sustainability strategies, plans and projects, including those relating to land & water conservation, Council's energy use, renewable energy and the mitigation of climate change. It will also manage and provide strategic guidance and support on Waste Minimisation activities ensuring Council's Waste Minimisation Plan is implemented and the outcomes are achieved while assisting with development through appropriate and customer focused input into the planning process.
In addition, you will provide expert, accurate and timely advice to management, staff and the community relating to the sustainability and environment areas, while managing community engagement programmes relating to sustainability, climate change, environment and waste management. Preparing reports, submissions, project briefs, quotations and tenders related to sustainability and climate change is also a requirement of this role as is the need to undertake research and conduct data analysis relating to sustainability and environment issues including emerging global issues.
The ideal applicant will have the following:
- Degree qualification in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management or related field and/or at least 5 years' experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing practical sustainability initiatives
- Knowledge of environmental and other relevant legislation and the application of standards
- Demonstrated experience in the development of projects, policies and procedures in the sustainability and environment areas
- Demonstrated experience in the management of community engagement programs
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of customers and stakeholders
- Ability to provide high level advice and support to Council to maintain and improve the overall management of the sustainability and environment areas
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Knowledge of Tikanga Maori
- Current full driver's licence
The South Taranaki District Council offers lots - great staff engagement, learning and development opportunities, social events and fantastic people, focused on achieving our common purpose of "Making our Communities Better".
If this role appeals to you, head over to our website www.southtaranaki.com where you can access the background information and job description for the role.
If submitting an application, please ensure you provide a covering letter outlining your skills and experience for the role along with your most current CV.