Independent Chair to the Audit and Risk Committee
South Taranaki is one of three districts which make up the Taranaki region. The South Taranaki District Council services approximately 28,600 people spread throughout seven towns and a number of smaller and coastal communities.
The South Taranaki District Council is seeking an external appointment to Chair the Audit and Risk Committee. This is a strategic and significant governance role with accountability for overseeing the organisation's risk management, internal control and financial management practises. This role has full voting rights for the term of appointment.
Applications are invited for the position of an external Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee.
The purpose of the Audit and Risk Committee is to assist and advise the Council in discharging its responsibility and ownership of governance, risk management and internal control.
The Committee will review the effectiveness of the following aspects of governance, risk management and internal control:
- Risk management
- Internal and external audit and assurance
- Integrity and investigations
- Monitoring of compliance with laws and regulations
- Significant projects and programmes of work focussing on the appropriate management of risk
- Oversight of preparation of the LTP, Annual Report, and other external financial reports required by statute.
- Monitoring and oversight of the Long-Term Investment Fund
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Experience of audit and risk governance processes
- Working knowledge or good understanding of how Local Government operates
- Working knowledge of Audit and Risk Committee practices and risk management frameworks
- Consciousness and familiarity with risk management including identification, evaluation and management and ensure that appropriate risk strategies are in place, which considers the risk appetite of the Council
- Understanding of internal control and assurance frameworks
- Financial reporting and analysis from a risk perspective
- A good understanding of the roles of internal and external audit
This is a paid appointment until April 2024 - with a minimum of eight meetings per year. Questions on the role of the Audit and Risk Committee should be directed to Group Manager Corporate Services, Marianne Archibald (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If this role appeals to you, head over to our website www.southtaranaki.com where you can access the background information and job description for the role. If submitting an application, please ensure you provide a covering letter outlining your skills and experience for the role along with your most current CV.
Applications close at 5pm on 2 November 2020.